Related Mechanics: Wings of Destruction (Double) [O8S]
- Double drill works by selecting and damaging the closest and furthest player from the source.
- Everyone else but those baiting it must stay away to prevent unnecessary damage and adverse effects.
Related Mechanics: Heartless Archangel [O8S], White Hole [O4S]
- This mechanic punishes you in some way if HP of all players isn’t restored to 100%.
- A “drain to 1 HP” mechanic is almost always the precursor.
Related Mechanics: Blizzard Blitz [O8S], Lunar Dynamo [T7/UCOB], Spellblade (Fire) [O3S]
- A mechanic where the only safe spots are close to the target or very, very far.
- More often than not, just stack in close.
Related Mechanics: Megabeam [A8S], Magitek Ray [O7S]
- An obvious beam that still obliterates veterans. The boss will turn and face a random party member and begin charging an often one-shot laser.
- Focus up!
Related Mechanics: Positive / Negative Charge [O7S]
- Works like a magnet.
- If you and the partner you’re tethered to are the same polarity, move in close to get knocked apart from each other.
- If opposite polarity, spread from each other to be drawn in.
Related Mechanics: Cursed Shriek [O4S], Death’s Gaze [O2S]
- Look away from the eyeball indicator / target casting or something bad happens.
Related Mechanics: Radar [O7S], Acceleration Bomb [O4S]
- This mechanic punishes you for moving and taking actions.
- In the case of Radar in O7S, this is a bit of a misnomer, as you can still cast, but cannot be moving.
- Be careful panning your camera with your right mouse button – it can result in failing the mechanic.
Related Mechanics: Last Kiss [O6S], Aether Rot [O7S]
- A “hot potato” mechanic placed on you that must be passed to another player before the debuff timer runs out.
- Last Kiss is a little different as you just pass it to a tank and it serves as a timed buster, but in most scenarios, you must constantly pass it.
Related Mechanics: Exaflare [UCOB], Emptiness [O4S]
- A slow moving AoE that comes in patterns across the arena.
- Typically after one AoE “puddle” resolves, that spot is safe.
- This is a more general one where spreading is simplified by having pre-set locations on the arena per person.
- Can often be called out as “far/close quickmarch/clock positions.”
This article was written and edited by Drexxin – Council and prog healer for Elysium. Follow me on Twitter and find me on Gilgamesh as Drexxin Lyzael or Zeradin Kelduras, and on Sargatanas as Drex Xin.
Cover Image Credit – Square Enix. VOD footage for GIFs from myself, Mister Happy, Miunih Evans & Jz Ben